Attempting a restore job to the original or a different system where pre-existing partitions and/or file systems on its target drive has not been removed generates the error listed below. The image file passes verification and can be mounted and/or files extracted successfully. The image can be restore successfully to a drive where its storage space has been made completely unallocated.
Result: Error ERROR_SYSTEM_API_CALL_FAILED (EBAB03EE): Operating System API (registry::GetRegistryHandle) RegOpenKeyExW( TARGET_HIVE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318\0000, ENUMERATE_MODE|WRITE_MODE ) failed. Error 00000002:
- Boot back up off the Symantec Recovery Disk (SRD).
- From the main window choose the Utility menu option.
- From the selection listed, choose the Partition Table operations.
- Choose View / Edit after selecting the target drive' disk number.
- Place two zeros in the first two columns and a single zero for the remaining columns in all rows.
- Click the Save changes button. (In Backup Exec System Recovery: Need to click on next --> Save changes Button)
- From the main window choose the Utility options again.
- From the selection listed, choose Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Support Tool.
- Choose from the submenu that appears the option: First Track Operation.
- Backup Exec System Recovery, select the internal drive from the pull down menu and click Next.
WARNING: Make sure that the internal drive is being selected and not any external drives where recovery points stored may have been stored. If necessary, disconnect any external drives.
- Select Wipe and click Next. Answer the prompts confirming this action.
- Click finish to perform the wipe command.
- Click OK on the acknowledgement window that the select drive first track has been successfully wiped.
- Reboot machine back into the Symantec Recovery Disk.
- Re-attempt to perform the restore process.
Windows base systems