"Install has detected a newer version of this technology" appears when upgrading from a previous version of Backup Exec System Recovery.
Install has detected a newer version of this technology. To install Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery, Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery (version) must first be removed through Add/Remove Programs.
Entries in the Windows Registry may prevent Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR) from properly installing.
Remove the registry entries by following the steps listed below:
Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.
Perform these steps from the local console of the affected machine:
2. Type REGEDIT and click OK
3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\
4. Right click on the Backup Exec System Recovery key and select Delete. When prompted, confirm the deletion by clicking OK
5. Right click on the Installed Recovery Technology key (if present) and select Delete. When prompted, confirm the deletion by clicking OK
6. Navigate to the top of the registry and left click My Computer to select it. Go to the Edit menu and select Find
7. In the "Find what:" box, type in the product GUID value, see below. The GUID value entered is based on the version that was previously installed.
BESR 6.5: 41D933DC-5F22-4B67-85A8-29CC2F0AA7D1
BESR 7.0: A8EA8A55-FDBE-4875-B598-DDC15B298270
BESR 8.0: A8EA8A55-FDBE-4875-B598-DDC15B298280
BESR 8.5: A8EA8A55-FDBE-4875-B598-DDC15B298285
BESR 2010: A8EA8A55-FDBE-4875-B598-DDC15B298290
SSR 2011: BB469E25-F875-4BAE-A64C-2B02FF7EB22B
Delete the keys from the registry by selecting them, right clicking and selecting Delete. Press F3 to find any further keys with these values.
8. Attempt to install Backup Exec System Recovery using local media.
- Click Start > Run...
- Type REGEDIT and click OK
- Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432node\Symantec\Installed Recovery Technology"
- Delete mentioned registry entry.
- Attempt to install Backup Exec System Recovery using local media.
Imported Document Id