Symantec Scan Engine 5.x and other Symantec products are installed on the computer.
The virus definitions for Symantec Scan Engine are not updated when running LiveUpdate for another Symantec product or when running the Intelligent Updater.
Symantec Scan Engine does not use the shared virus definition structure. LiveUpdate and Intelligent Updater do not update Symantec Scan Engine when running them from another Symantec product.
To solve this problem, use a batch file or shell script to check for newer definitions for Symantec Scan Engine. When newer definitions are available, Symantec Scan Engine copies the newer definitions to update itself. The batch file and shell script are located in the following folders:
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Scan Engine\Definitions\AntiVirus\setup-iu.bat
- Solaris and Linux
To run the batch file in Windows
- On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Run.
- In the Open box, type the following text:
- In the cmd.exe window, at the command prompt, type the following commands:
cd c:\program files\symantec\scan engine\definitions\antivirus
To run the shell script in Solaris or Linux
- Open a command prompt.
- At the command prompt, type the following commands:
To stop the batch file or shell script change the argument from enable to disable when typing the command. Symantec Scan Engine 5 then reverts to allow virus definition updates through LiveUpdate only.
Note: It is not necessary to restart the Scan Engine service after running the Intelligent Updater shell script.
If the Intelligent Updater does not create the VirusDefs folder, do one of the following:
- From a different computer on which a Symantec product is installed, copy the VirusDefs folder (including all subfolders and files) to the computer on which Symantec Scan Engine 5.x is installed. The default path to the VirusDefs folder is as follows:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs
Paste the VirusDefs folder and its contents into the following folder on the computer that runs Symantec Scan Engine:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\
- Download and run Intelligent Updater on a stand-alone Symantec Scan Engine 5.x server via the below link
- When the Symantec Scan Engine shadow.iu is enabled via setup-iu, the Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs folder gets created (if it is not already present).
Therefore the information above should never have to be used. Also note that Intelligent Updater is not responsible for creating the VirusDefs folder, the product itself is.
Therefore it is normal if Intelligent Updater does not create the VirusDefs folder.
- SAVCE 64-bit cannot share definitions with Scan Engine. Scan Engine 5.2.4 will have to get its definitions via LiveUpdate.
- If SEP 12.1 and above is installed then setup-iu.bat cannot be run because the definitions for SEP 12.1 are not shareable.
Rate this Article