During installation a dialog box with the following error message:
Failed to set SMSMSE registry or file security. Please set the registry and file permissions manually after installation is completed.
The installer reports this message for several different issues. Check the installation logs for more details: How to Obtain Detailed Logging While Installing Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE).
These are generic workarounds. See the installation logs to determine the specific errors.
- Set file system and registry changes manually.
You must set permissions for "SMSMSE Admins" to have Full Control access and for "SMSMSE Viewers" to have read-only access to the following two directories and two registry keys:
Windows x86 directories
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET files
Windows x64 directories
C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\SMSMSE\<version>\Server
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET files
Windows x86 registry keys
Windows x64 registry keys
Making the Directory changes
1. Right-click the folder and select Properties.
2. Select the Security tab.
3. Add the SMSMSE Admins group and grant Full Control access to the directories listed above.
4. Add the SMSMSE Viewers group and grant Read access to the Server directory.
5. Add the SMSMSE Viewers group and grant Full Control access to the Temporary ASP.NET files directory.
Making the Registry changes
1. Open Registry Editor by running regedt32.exe.
2. Locate and select the registry keys mentioned above.
3. Select Edit > Permissions from the menu.
4. Add the SMSMSE Admins group and grant Full Control access to the Registry keys listed above.
5. Add the SMSMSE Viewers group and grant Read access to the Registry keys listed above.
- Run the install as Administration on Windows 2008 and higher
Right click on the installation file (setup.exe) and select Run as administrator.
Imported Document Id