Restore of System State fails with Unable to attach to one of the drives when booted into Directory Services Restore Mode on a Windows 2000 Small Business Server
Unable to attach to one of the drives.
The completed job log will display the following:
Job Completion Status:
Completed status: Failed Final error code: a000848c HEX Final error description: Unable to attach to one of the drives. Final error category: Resource Errors
In order to restore the System State of a Windows 2000 server that runs Active Directory, the system has to be booted into Directory Services Restore Mode. This mode was designed to allow troubleshooting and to include recovery of directory services. Because Active Directory is not in a functional state at this time, the user must log in to the local machine. Therefore, it is necessary to ensure that the credentials being used to access the System State can be authenticated locally.
The easiest method is to use the administrator account and for that reason, the administrator account is used in the following example of how to configure VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) to use alternate credentials.
1. Launch Backup Exec and begin to create the restore job by selecting Restore
2. Once the selection for System State has been made, browse to Resource Credentials in the Properties window (Figure 1)
3. Highlight the System State and click Change on the right side
4. Click New and specify <Servername>\Administrator, then type in the password and hit OK (Figure 2).
5. This account can now be used for accessing the System State and it should be reflected in the Resource Credentials window
6. Continue creating the restore job as needed and run the restore
If backup exec is installed on this server then need to start the services under local system and then make sure you create the new account as the recovery password
If it is a remote server then make sure create a new account with local administrator with the recovery password
Rate this Article
This is machine translated content
Login to Subscribe
Please login to set up your subscription.
Didn't find the article you were looking for? Try these resources.