You are troubleshooting an issue with an AIM 6.X/7.X client login. You need to gather logs from the AIM 6.X/7.X IM client.
NOTE: Symantec only has deubugging libraries for AIM 6.8, 6.9, 7.0, 7.1 AIM client versions. If you are using an AIM client version higher then this, uninstall that version and install a version for which there is a client library. You can download earlier version from various archive locations on the Internet.
NOTE: These libraries are for 32 bit operating systems only.
Download the attached ZIP file and extract the files on the machine where the AIM 6.X/7.X client is installed:
To turn on AIM Client IM Logging
- 1. Save the following original files to a safe temporary directory (if they exist):
For AIM 6.X:
C:\Program Files\AIM6\coolcore50.dll (if present)
C:\Program Files\AIM6\coolcore52.dll (if present)
C:\Program Files\AIM6\coolcore57.dll (if present)
For AIM 7.X:
- C:\Program Files\AIM7\coolcore58.dll
- 2. Exit AIM client.
3. Copy the dlls from the extracted folder to the folder C:\Program Files\AIM6 or C:\Program Files\AIM7.
For an AIM 6.8 IM client copy the files from the directory <extracted files>
For an AIM 6.9 IM client copy the files from the directory <extracted files>
For an AIM 7 IM client copy the files from the directory <extracted files>
To determine which version of AIM SSL Client is being used.
- a. Open AIM IM Client.
b. On the Tool bar go to Help | About AIM.
4. Copy the extracted MSVCRTD.dll file to the folder C:\windows\system32.
5. Start the AIM client.
- NOTE: You may run into this issue with the IM client: AIM 6.X/7.X IM Client Crashes / Closes While Attempting to Sign In. If you do, follow the workaround described in the article. You won't be able to use the log to directly see the results of the AIM DCS provisioning (if being used).
- However this article can be used to test AIM DCS provisioning: How to Test the AOL Provisioning for AIM 6.X and Higher IM Clients.
6. Perform a login with the AIM client.
7. Collect all files that start with the name xprt- and send them to Symantec Technical Support.
- The log files are stored to the directory specified in the environment variable TEMP.
The default for Windows XP is C:\Documents and Settings\<username>
The default for Windows Vista is c:\users\<username>
- NOTE: The default setting for some operating systems is to hide the Local Settings directory. If the directory Local Settings does not show up as expected use the operating system method to "show all files and directories".
To turn off AIM SSL Client IM Logging
- 1. Exit AIM IM client.
2. Copy the saved original MSVCRTD.dll file to the folder C:\windows\system32.
3. Copy the two saved original dlls to the folder C:\Program Files\AIM6 or C:\Program Files\AIM7.
Rate this Article