Symantec Scan Engine (SSE) can download contents from internet-based source servers or from an internal LiveUpdate server (either the legacy LiveUpdate Administration Utility 1.x or the recommended current tool, LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x).
How can SSE be configured to point to an Internal LiveUpdate server to receive updates?
1. It is necessary to configure the internal LiveUpdate server to retrieve virus definition for Symantec Scan Engine.
The "Post-Installation task" section on the LiveUpdate Administrator Guide's covers the steps required on how to:
- Add AntiVirus definition packages for Symantec Scan Engine (SSE)
Note: the "Product" to add to LiveUpdate Administrator for SSE is "Symantec Scan Engine"
- Configure the LiveUpdate Administrator Source Server to download definitions
- Configure the LiveUpdate Administrator Distribution Center and export the client's settings host file (.hst)
2. There is a need to configure Symantec Scan Engine to retrieve updates from an internal LiveUpdate server (LUAU 1.5 or LUA 2.x) on the the local network.
This is done by editing the LiveUpdate configuration file.
By default the LiveUpdate configuration file is located as follows:
- In Unix:
- In Windows for release 5.2.8 and below:
- Windows 2000/2003
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Java LiveUpdate\liveupdate.conf.
- Windows 2008:
- In Windows for release 5.2.10 and later:
- Windows 32-bit: %ProgramFiles%\Symantec\Scan Engine\liveupdate.conf
- Windows 64-bit: %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Symantec\Scan Engine\liveupdate.conf
How to edit the liveupdate.conf:
- For SSE releases 5.2.7 and below, use a text editor to open the liveupdate.conf file and set the parameter 'hosts/0/url=' to equal the IP or host name of the internal LiveUpdate server.
- From SSE v 5.2.8, the settings are configured through the Java ConfigEditor. Details on how to use this tool can be found in the article How to change settings in Java LiveUpdate 3.6 or higher.
Imported Document Id