What advanced scanning options are available in Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange?
Configuring advanced scanning options for auto-protect and background scanning
You can configure additional scanning options that apply to auto-protect and background scanning.
To configure advanced scanning options for auto-protect and background scanning
1. In the console on the primary navigation bar, click Scans.
2. In the sidebar under Views, click Auto-Protect.
3. Under Advanced Scanning Options, check any of the following:
- Scan message bodies (applies to AV only)
Detects risks in message bodies. The option is disabled by default.
- On virus definition update, force rescan before allowing access to information store
Performs a scan each time definitions are updated and a user attempts to access a message. Microsoft Exchange does not allow access to any messages in the store until Mail Security re-scans the message with the latest definitions when a user attempts to access a file. Because definitions are delivered frequently, the scan might not complete before new definitions are available. This can impact overall mail throughput. This option is disabled by default.
- Virus scan messages during SMTP transport (recommended for perimeter or gateway servers)
Enables virus scanning of messages as they pass through the SMTP transport. This option is disabled by default. On Exchange Server 2003, this option requires a mailbox store or a public folder to be mounted.
Note: Enabling Background Scanning and On virus definition update, force rescan before allowing access to information store with Rapid Release Definitions can significantly impact performance.
4. On the toolbar, click Deploy changes to apply your changes.
This information was taken from the Symantec™ Mail Security for Microsoft® Exchange 2000 Server/Server 2003 Implementation Guide
The implementation guide can be found on Symantec's FTP server: