When you suspect, or are notified of a hardware situation on a Symantec Brightmail Gateway/Messaging Gateway/Traffic Shaper/Web Gateway Appliance, then consider providing Symantec Technical Support a hardware diagnostics.
WARNING: Performing a hardware diagnostics requires the Symantec Brightmail Gateway/Messaging Gateway/Traffic Shaper/Web Gateway Appliance to be down, please prepare accordingly.
- Reboot Server
- During Power On Self Test, (POST), press F10
- It will indicate Enter Utility Mode in the upper right-hand corner when successfully pressed
- Select Run
- System Diagnostics
- Select Express Test
- Extended Test would be recommended for a comprehensive evaluation
- View Information
- You will be able to view the test result and any error codes
- Close out of System Diagnostics
- Click the close icon in the upper right-hand corner of the window interface
- Get the Service Tag from the appliance
NOTE: In situations where the utility partition has been removed from the appliance, you will need to download the Dell 32-bit hardware diagnostics manually and create a diagnostic partition on a CD or USB drive to boot from.
For references on steps necessary to acquire and run the Dell Hardware Diagnostics, please visit:
How to Run the Dell 32-bit Diagnostics Utility