This document contains instructions for using the "Rx4DefsSEP" utility.
The "Rx4DefsSEP" utility is used to completely remove and replace definitions on 32-bit or 64-bit Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.x clients. It is not intended for operation with Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 systems due to changes in folders and operations. The tool does not replace definitions for Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.
To use the tool, double click Rx4DefsSEP_x.x.exe to begin remediating the virus definitions.
Note: This utility silently attempts to repair the virus definitions on the computer on which it is run. Once the utility has completed its task, which may take several minutes, the computer may need to be restarted for the changes to take effect. This utility will replace the current definitions with a specific set of definitions and the definitions it places on the computer may be out of date. It is recommended that LiveUpdate be run on unmanaged clients after repairing the definitions with this utility. Managed clients should retrieve the latest definitions automatically from their parent server if so configured.
For details on how to manually repair definitions, see How to clear out corrupted definitions for a Symantec Endpoint Protection Client
- Do not use "Rx4DefsSEP" to repair the definitions for previous versions of Symantec AntiVirus (SAV). Please see Using the "Rx4Defs" utility or Using the "Rx4Defs64" utility at to remove and replace definitions on SAV.
- This utility is provided for your convenience only. Symantec Technical Support cannot provide support for the use of this utility or any scripts calling this utility.
- This tool will not accomplish remediation if any version of Symantec Mail Security is found to be installed. Do not use this utility on any version of Symantec Mail Security.
- In all cases, test this utility before using it in a production environment.
- The utility is not intended for operation with Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 systems due to changes in folders and operations.
Rx4DefsSEP_1.70.exe (79.9 MB)
Rate this Article