In the messages log of a NetApp Filer with vscan registered to Symantec Scan Engine, an error similar to the following appears:
"CIFS: Vscan server <
Errors similar to the following may also appear in the messages log of the NetApp Filer:
- CIFS: Virus scan server \\<<HOSTNAME>> (<<IP>>) has disconnected from the filer
- CIFS: Vscan abort_timeout exceeded while scanning ONTAP_ADMIN\<<PATH>>\FILENAME
There are multiple causes for this symptom: 1. Symantec Scan Engine de-registered from the NetApp Filer unexpectedly. 2. Symantec Scan Engine took longer to scan than the NetApp Filer abort_timeout value is currently configured to permit.
If the error "CIFS: Virus scan server \\<<HOSTNAME>> (<<IP>>) has disconnected from the filer" appears in the NetApp Filer logs, upgrade Scan Engine to version 5.2.4.
If the error "abort_timeout exceeded" appears in the NetApp Filer logs, examine the Scan Engine logs to determine how long the scan took, then increase the abort_timeout within the CLI of the NetApp Filer.
To determine how long Scan Engine took to scan the file
- Examine the "abort_timeout exceeded" error within the messages log of the NetApp Filer to determine the filename.
- At the Windows cmd prompt, use the find command to locate the entries containing the filename.
- At the Linux or Solaris shell prompt, use the grep command to locate the entries containing the filename.
- For each matching entry within the Scan Engine logs, note the "|18|0.000|" pair. The second number is how many seconds Scan Engine took to scan the file.
Title: Release notes for Symantec Scan Engine 5.2
Imported Document Id