This article caters to managing multiple Windows and AIX definitions in a mixed operating system environment where Domino servers running Symantec Mail Security 8.0 for Domino (SMSDOM) need to share settings and definitions through replication across different platforms.
In a cross-platform environment, if you wish to perform LiveUpdate on a single server and replicate the definitions to other servers using the SMSDOM definitions database (SAVDEFS.NSF), only one server in the server group will be allowed to perform LiveUpdate resulting in definitions for only the specified server’s platform getting downloaded.
SMSDOM 8.0 for Windows and SMSDOM-MPE 8.0 for AIX download platform specific virus definitions. Definitions for multiple platforms can be stored in the same database (SMSDOM-Definitions database, SAVDEFS.NSF) and replicated across servers in a multiple server environment. In a mixed operating system environment containing both Windows and AIX servers running SMSDOM, SMSDOM picks up the respective definition set for a particular server based on the operating system.
The setting Run LiveUpdate on: > The following server: field allows you to add a single server on which you want LiveUpdate to run. Thereafter, the settings database replicates across all servers and only the server specified in this field will perform LiveUpdate.
To download definitions for Windows and AIX in a mixed operating system environment with replication of definitions enabled, a minimum of two server groups are required. The steps to configure are mentioned below.
1. From the SMSDOM Settings View, create a new server group.
2. Add only the Windows servers and remove the AIX servers from this group.
3. Click LiveUpdate > Run LiveUpdate on: > The following server:.
4. Select the Windows Domino server that will run LiveUpdate on behalf of the Windows Server Group.
5. Proceed with other settings and click Save.
- From the SMSDOM Settings View, click Copy Settings to New Group.
- Select all the checkboxes available if you want to create a replica of the Windows Settings Document. This is the settings document pertaining to the AIX Server Group and you can name the server group accordingly.
- Click LiveUpdate > Run LiveUpdate on: > The following server:
- Select the AIX Domino server that will run LiveUpdate on behalf of the AIX Server Group.
- Proceed with other settings and click Save.
Once the settings are completed, Windows and AIX definitions will be downloaded and stored in a common SMSDOM definitions database (SAVDEFS.NSF), which can be replicated across servers irrespective of the operating system.
Rate this Article