This document contains the release notes for Symantec Web Gateway 22.214.171.124.
Symantec Web Gateway - Web Security Release Notes
Table of Contents
II. NEW FEATURES
III. OUTSTANDING ISSUES
IV. CONFIGURATION TIPS
V. PREVIOUS CHANGES
This document provides detailed technical information regarding the software release.
Additional information may also be found in the following resources:
Symantec Web Gateway Administrative Console Online Help
Symantec Web Gateway Support Website:
II. NEW FEATURES
This is a Release Update to Symantec Web Gateway 4.5.
This release supports the following appliance models: SWG-8450, SWG-8490, 001, 003, 005, 007, 009, CI10 and CI100.
Changes this release:
1. Support for Symantec 8400 Series Rev 1 appliances.
NOTE: The port layout for the Symantec 8450 Rev 1 appliance has changed. The port diagrams are not correct in the Symantec Web Gateway Getting Started Guide and Symantec Web Gateway Getting Implementation Guide for the 8450 Rev 1 . If you received an 8450 Rev 1, the box contains a page that shows the correct port layout. The labels on the back of the 8450 correctly indicate the correct ports.
2. Added additional NTLM 'Test' button for dual-homing (LAN2) configurations.
3. Fixed a condition where SWG would use Management IP rather than Inline IP for NTLM test in dual IP configurations.
4. Fixed an error in SWG Setup Wizard where a CIU-only configuration parameter would be configurable.
5. Fixed a condition that would cause high CPU utilization if database update and a scheduled maintenance task occur simultaneously.
6. Fixed a condition that would cause a policy to be uneditable if a spyware category was defined.
7. Resolved various UI errors if an LDAP attribute contained an apostrophe.
8. Whitespace in LDAP configuration sections is now properly handled per the RFC.
9. Symantec License Files with unexpected spacemarks in the filename are now handled properly.
10. Resolved an issue with the NTLM Test function.
11. Fixed a condition where extreme HTTP POST activity could cause packet drop.
12. Changed all references of 'mi5threatcenter.com' to 'threatcenter.symantec.com'.
13. Resolved an issue where NTLM authentication would fail due to concurrent open sessions to domain controller.
14. Changed UI message when downloading multiple packages for Software Update to display proper number of packages.
15. Resolved an issue where the 'Workgroup' filter in Enterprise Summary did not apply.
16. Resolved an issue where whitelisting a signature from CIU did not push to SWG.
17. Fixed an error where the Department filter in the Enterprise Summary\Browse Time Report did not properly filter data.
18. Fixed a condition that caused the Workgroup filter to not properly function in some cases.
III. OUTSTANDING ISSUES
This release contains the following known issues:
NOTE: SWG MODELS 8450/8490/007/009/100 WILL AUTOMATICALLY REBOOT AFTER UPDATING THE SOFTWARE.
Polices | Whitelist Changes: System Administrator added white list will not
take effect if IP address is already in black IP list.
"Revert to Previous Version" in Updates page only changes "Current Version"
or "Current Software Version" number. It does not change the application or
database to Previous version. It can be used to force a repeat update of
the same software or database update.
IV. CONFIGURATION TIPS
This section details useful advice when deploying and operating this release
of the Symantec Web Gateway:
When using an external network device to provide connectivity for
TAP/Span or Inline mode operation, please verify that the device is
a hub, not a switch. An Ethernet switch will not allow the appliance to
inspect the traffic on the network segment.
After initial configuration of the gateway, be sure to change the client machine
IP Address to one on the same subnet with the appliance, or use another machine on the
subnet to access appliance GUI.
If using the DHCP option for automatic IP Address assignment, retrieve
MAC Address from System Status screen, under the System Information section.
It is recommended that this MAC Address be used for quick IP Address
An external (outside the company) DNS Server will not resolve local hostnames
to their IP Address. For hostname resolution, please use internal DNS,
V. PREVIOUS CHANGES
Previous Version - 126.96.36.199
1. APPLIANCE MODELS SWG-8450, SWG-8490, 007, 009, AND CIU 100 WILL REBOOT AFTER THEY ARE UPGRADED TO THIS RELEASE.
2. IT WILL TAKE ABOUT 20 MINUTES TO FINISH THE UPGRADE TO THIS RELEASE. DURING THIS TIME SWG WILL NOT SCAN, MONITOR, OR BLOCK USER TRAFFIC.
1. Support Web Gateway in VLAN trunk interface.
2. Added a "policy service" feature to allow administrators to apply a policy to a list of up to 30,000 IP addresses.
3. Made end user pages fully customizable.
4. Display top-N in report charts. N is configurable in Reports tab under Configuration.
5. Fixed a memory leak and a related issue that caused the Ethernet link to stay down after a memory leak reboot.
6. Fixed a condition that caused the CIU user interface to lock after a policy change to Web Gateway.
7. Fixed a condition that caused a large number of URLs to be marked as unclassified URLs.
8. Fixed a whitelist deletion error that caused deletion not to take effect.
9. Changed LDAP label "Age out" to "LDAP Sync Freq" to more accurately reflect the function.
This setting changes the frequency at which SWG will poll LDAP for user attributes such as OU, Workgroup, and Department.
This setting does not affect NTLM authentication timeouts or DCinterface.
10. Removed the function of copy-and-paste XML for license upload.
11. Fixed FTP file transfer over SWG may not work when there is packet drop in the network.
12. Fixed Scheduled Saved Report didn't work with large amount of event log.
13. Released a new version of dcinterface 4.5.4 to eliminate false alert of disconnection between DC and SWG.
A SECURITY ALERT WILL POP UP AT THE END OF UPGRADE TO THIS VERSION.
THIS IS DUE TO CHANGES IN THE SELF-SIGNED CERTIFICATE.
CLICK THE YES. BUTTON TO PROCEED WITH THE INSTALLATION.
Previous Version - 188.8.131.52
1. New dcinterface 4.5.3 which fixed client IP address greater than 184.108.40.206 won't work in 4.5.2.
2. Fixed CIU with more than 255 LDAP users cannot upgrade to 4.5.
Previous Version - 220.127.116.11
1. New dcinterface that supports Windows 2008 server.
2. Fixed system restart / bypass due to extremely long URL inspection.
3. Upgrade Web Gateway to fix some vulnerabilities.
4. Fixed 8450 management port didn't work after cold start when it is configured as CIU.
5. Provide two weeks grace period if no license file is imported during wizard.
6. Fixed Web Gateway sometimes misclassified URL category.
7. Fixed URL/Content Filter exception didn't work when web access is done with TCP port number in the domain of the URL.
8. Fixed "Add Filter" button didn't work.
9. Add a feature to disable Web Gateway upload events to CIU.
10. Changed Web Gateway Central Mgmt to only allow one management hostname or IP.
11. Fixed failed to load license to Web Gateway when it is configured to access Symantec Threat Center via proxy server.
12. Fixed Cyrillic character wasn't displayed correctly in Role Based Management.
13. Added online help for Role Based Management feature.
Previous Version - 18.104.22.168
1. Increase maximum number of policy from 32 to 127.
2. Added the feature of Role Base Management. Administrator can restrict the scope of report for Web Gateway user.
3. Support Arabic and Hebrew in End User Pages.
4. Added a new UI report for LDAP work group.
5. Fixed Web Gateway occasionally blocked access to legitimate web site.
Previous Version - 22.214.171.124
1. 4.5.x.x software is now directly upgradable from 4.0.x on all legacy Mi5 hardware (001, 003, 005, 007, 009, CI10, CI100)
2. Fixed an issue where UI could not save a whitelist entry when NTLM is enabled.
3. Improved UI performance for whitelist configuration.
4. Fixed an issue resulting in empty text boxes in Russian End User Page configuration.
6. Fixed an issue where CIU Radius configuration could not be pushed to managed Web Gateways.
7. Fixed an issue where CIU Repaired Client Report was not accurate.
8. Upgrade of internal MySQL database with improvements to overall stability and prevention of data corruption.
Previous Version - 126.96.36.199
Release 4.5 is the first Web Gateway software release by Symantec. This software version introduces
a number of security enhancements and additions to the Web Gateway product line such as
support for new hardware models, a new AV scanning engine, support for Symantec SLF licenses,
and a common software image for Web gateway and Central Intelligence Unit.
This release supports the new models SWG-8450 and SWG-8490 and the previous models 001, 003, 005, 007, 009, CI10 and CI100.
Major Features in this release:
1. Improved Web Security utilizing the Symantec AV Engine. A secondary AV scan is performed by the
Sophos engine on systems with Sophos licenses.
2. Utilizing Symantec Global Intelligence Network for Malware URLs, IP addresses, and Botnet Command and Control.
3. New Symantec licensing file.
4. Software image supports a choice between Web Gateway or Central Intelligence Unit - selected during
initial startup Wizard configuration.
5. URL Filter policy enhancement for handling ambiguity: On multi category URLs, policies can
be set to take action based on the most restrictive (Blocking) or the most permissive (Allow) category.
6. End user communications supported on additional locales.
Imported Document Id