How does the download randomization work with an Auto-Upgrade in SEP?
You want to automatically upgrade groups with a new install package, and have questions about how the download randomization works.
You can find the randomization options by following these steps:
- Log in to the SEPM console
- Select Admin > Install Packages
- Click 'Upgrade Groups with Package'
- Click 'Next', select the package to use and click 'Next'
- Select the group(s) to apply the Upgrade to and click 'Next'
- Select where to download the update from (SEPM or URL)
- Click 'Upgrade Settings' to display the download randomization options
There are two main features of download randomization: Upgrade schedule and the distribution timeline.
- If selected, this option will limit the packages to a specific time range during the day (i.e. only deploy from midnight to 8am)
Distribute updates over:
- How long to spread out the distribution. If set to '0' updates start right away (or during the next Upgrade Schedule if specified)
How it works:
- You have configured your distribution options, and completed the Upgrade Groups Wizard. As clients check in the SEPM, they will be notified that there is a new update to download and install.
The SEPM will either tell the client to download the package immediately, or if a schedule/timeline is specified the SEPM will give the client the parameters to download the package (i.e. sometime over the next 4 days between midnight and 8am) and the client picks a random time in that range. There is no visibility from the SEPM to see when a specific client is scheduled to start it's download. If a client is offline when the random window occured, the client will pick a new random time.
** NOTE: There was an issue fixed with SEP 11 MR4 with these features. With MR3 and previous you could only specify an Upgrade Schedule OR a distribution timeline... not both. MR4 and later this issue is resolved.