Customer needs to adjust the number of content revisions stored by Symantec Protection Center, but Small Business Edition does not include that option in the console.
The number of content updates stored in the \Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Protection Center\Inetpub\content folder can be reduced by creating the setting called "scm.lucontentcleanup.threshold" to the conf.properties file. This setting controls how many revisions that Symantec Protection Center retains of content (Virus Definitions, etc) for distribution and deltas (microdefs). Reducing this value reduces the amount of disk space and database space that is utilized, but increases the likelihood that clients that are not connected to the Symantec Protection Center for extended periods of times (such as laptops) will download a full virus definition set as opposed to microdefs, potentially increasing network utilization. Increasing the value of "scm.lucontentcleanup.threshold" will increase the disk and database space used, but clients that are not connecting to the Symantec Protection Center can stay offline for longer period and still receive microdef content, decreasing network utilization. This should not be of too much concern as SEP SBE clients are hard coded to update from Symantec LiveUpdate servers once a day. Clients that have updated from Symantec LiveUpdate servers would still receive a delta package from the SPC if they were within the amount of revisions available to create a delta on the server.
To adjust the number of content updates stored by Symantec Protection Center
- Open the \Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Protection Center\tomcat\etc\conf.properties file.
- Add the following setting to the file, (the example uses a value of 5, adjust the value as necessary, the default value is 10 if no entry is present)
- Close the conf.properties file and click Yes to save your changes.
- Click Start > Run.
- Type services.msc and click OK.
- Right-click on Symantec Protection Center, and click Restart.
- Close Services.