The server hosting the SPC is going to be decommissioned or you would simply like to host the SPC on a different server.
First make a backup of the Symantec Protection Center database. Follow the steps outlined below to perform this task. If you already have a backup of the database, move on to step 4.
Backing up the Symantec Protection Center (SPC) Database from the Original SPC host
- On the server currently hosting the SPC, go to Start>All Programs>Symantec Protection Center>Symantec Protection Center Tools>Database Back Up and Restore.
- Click the Back Up button, and then click Yes to confirm. This may take several minutes depending on system performance and available resources.
- Once complete, the backup confirmation displays the backup location. By default this is: Data\Backup directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Protection Center\Data\Backup).
- Copy the entire backup folder to a network share or removable drive to facilitate move to the new server.
- Copy the ...\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Protection Center\Server Private Key Backup folder from the original Symantec Protection Center to the network share or removable drive.
- Once all backups are saved, we will need to go to the new server that is to host the Symantec Protection Center.
Restoring the Symantec Protection Center (SPC) Database to the New SPC host
- Create the following path (this is default for 32-bit operating systems, if you are installing to an alternate drive or directory please substitute with the path you will be using) C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Protection Center
- Copy the Server Private Key Backup folder to the above directory.
- Create a new folder and name it Data in C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Protection Center.
- Copy the Backup folder into the created Data folder.
- Run the SPC installer (Setup.exe) file to install the SPC on the new host server.
- During the Management Server Configuration Wizard you will see a pop-up stating that a backup directory was found. Click Yes to restore the backup of the Keystore.
- Once the install completes, open services utility (>Start >Run >services.msc) on the new system and stop the Symantec Protection Center service.
- Go to Start >All Programs >Symantec Protection Center >Symantec Protection Center Tools >Database Back Up and Restore.
- Click the Restore button, and then click Yes on the dialog box confirming all settings in the current database will be lost.
- Once the database backup has been successfully restored, re-start the Symantec Protection Center service.
- Go to Start>All Programs>Symantec Protection Center>Symantec Protection Center Tools>Management Server Configuration Wizard.
- Click Next on the first screen, verify your information and click Next again, then click Finish once the process completes.
Upon completion you will be able to login to the Symantec Protection Center. Any groups and policies that were previously created will be restored as well as the license file. You will also see your clients listed as Offline. As such you will need to connect your existing clients to the new SPC. Please refer to the document: Restoring communication to clients with a new Sylink.xml file.
Restoring communication to clients with a new Sylink.xml file http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH106288
Disaster Recovery for the Symantec Protection Center http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH94393