When running the Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE) installer the following error message is shown:
Microsoft Internet Information Services is required for installing Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange.
The install does not complete.
- W3SVC service component of IIS is not installed and running.
- 1. Open the Windows Services Control Panel.
2. Find the service World Wide Web Publishing Service.
If it is not present or not running then this condition is met.
- Installer log shows error message while checking if IIS is installed:
1. Turn on detailed installer logging for SMSMSE: How to obtain detailed MSI logging while installing or uninstalling Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE) version 6.5 & older.
NOTE: This step is not necessary for version 6.5.5 and higher as verbose installation logging is enabled by default.
2. In the installer log find the text fnPreCheckIISInstalled.
3. There may be an error message similar to this in the logs:
- Action 12:01:18: fnPreCheckIISInstalled.
Action start 12:01:18: fnPreCheckIISInstalled.
-- SAVFMSEInst.dll MSI_Logging -- fnPreCheckIISInstalled
-- SAVFMSEInst.dll MSI_Logging -- DisplayMessageBox
-- SAVFMSEInst.dll MSI_Logging -- Error: Microsoft Internet Information Services is required for installing Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange.
CustomAction fnPreCheckIISInstalled returned actual error code 1604 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 12:03:28: fnPreCheckIISInstalled. Return value 4.
Action ended 12:03:28: INSTALL. Return value 4.
IIS is a pre-requisite for SMSMSE. The installer checks that it is present and running. If not, the installer does not complete.
Install IIS and ensure it is running. See the following article for details: What IIS Settings are Required to Install and Run Symantec Mail Security for Exchange?
- Windows 2008
- Windows 2003