- Note: The above commands will update the 'backup_dir' entry in the /opt/altiris/notification/nsagent/etc/client.conf file and restart the agent on the client machine. It is also possible to manually edit this client.conf file to make this change. - Note: Copies of all NSE files will be stored in the specified directory. - Run the requested commands and then send all nse files in the /tmp/nse directory to Symantec technical support. - Note: The /tmp path is an example. Any valid path of your choosing will suffice for this method. It is helpful to create a temporary subdirectory just for these nse files. Do not put the above path in quotes. Do not use a path with spaces in the directory names. - Note: This method COPIES the NSE files to the specified temporary directory. The original NSE file(s) is still sent to the Notification Server. - After completing this step, undo the above setting to prevent the continued accumulation of temporary files:
- Restart the agent by running: "aex-helper agent restart" - Run an inventory task or policy on the client machine. - Note: The status of the task or policy can be checked on the client machine by running "aex-cta list". - After the task or policy completes, send the /tmp/cache.out file to Symantec technical support. - Note: The /tmp/cache.out path & file is an example. Any valid path and file of your choosing will suffice for this method. - Note: This step can be undone be removing the above lines and restarting the agent. Otherwise, the file will be created for every inventory task and policy.
3. Run inventory solution scripts manually and capture their output
Inventory Solution for Unix, Linux and Macintosh uses shell scripts to gather certain data. These scripts can be ran manually to view the data being gathered. To run these scripts, do the following:
- On the desired client computer, cd to the following directory (Note: you MUST be in this directory for this to work):
- Run: "./CltInv_*/<scriptname>.sh".
- Note: the output is directed to the screen, by default. To redirect the output to a file, run "./CltInv_*/<scriptname>.sh >> /tmp/invscript.out". - Note: The above directory has subdirectories for various types of inventory, i.e., hardware, software, etc. Within each of those are scripts ran by inventory solution. Either run a specific script for the data you are looking for, a set of related scripts or all scriptes as required. - Note: Any guid-related error messages can safely be ignored. - Return the output data to Symantec technical support.
4. Run automated shell script to run and gather output of inventory scripts
Use the attached shell script, getinvdata.sh, to automate the procedure outlined in step #3. The output is gathered in the /tmp/syminvdata.out file, by default. Please return the output file to Symantec Technical Support.
Note: Also, return a copy of the /opt/altiris/notification/inventory/var/log/<datetime>.log file (or all log files in this directory).