Imaging a hard drive usually requires that the computer is booted to an "Automation Preboot Environment" rather than the "Production" Windows that you are trying to image. Windows PE 10 is a suitable Automation Preboot operating system for almost every circumstance. (No matter what OS you have installed Ghost on, or you intend to deploy, the Windows 10 ADK is suitable unless your machine is too old to boot to Windows 10). This tutorial will show you how to import a Windows Preboot Operating system into Ghost Solution Suite 3.x.
Please note that this is for Ghost Solution Suite console installation. If you are using Ghost Standard Tools, the instructions are in another article, www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO124712.
1. Download the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit. You need the latest supported version per the product release notes:
Install as directed to the default path. When asked for features to install, these are the only two that need to be checked:
Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) (Uncheck the other features to decrease the size of this installation and the time required to complete the tasks.)
2. Launch the Ghost Solution Suite Console. In the console, click on Tools > Boot Disk Creator.
3. In the Boot Disk Creator, if you do not already have a Preboot environment installed, you will see "Step 1 of 2: Pre-boot Operating System Files". Select "WinPE 10 x64" (If you do not see this Wizard, click Tools - Install Pre-Boot Operating Systems.)
4. Click the radio button for "Pre-installed ADK", then browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits. Click Next.
5. It will take a couple of minutes to completely import this. After it completes, you will see a screen that says "Step 2 of 2: Install Complete". Click Finish.
6. A pop-up will then appear. Click Cancel.
If you intend to use any 32- bit machines follow these steps to import the 32 bit Windows PE.