How do I upgrade to Deployment Solution 6.9 SP6 from 6.8 SP1, SP2 or Deployment Solution 6.9 SP1, SP2, SP3, SP4, or SP5?
Step 1: Backup and Collect Information
In case you need to revert to the previous version at a later time, make a backup of your Deployment Database and Deployment Server before you begin. Before you being the upgrade process, check your AUP as explained in article HOWTO6402.
To back up your existing license files, make a copy of express.exe and rename it express.lic. By default, it is located at C:\Program Files\Altiris\eXpress\Deployment Server. You can then provide this file as a Deployment Server license during the upgrade process.
Record the following: • The IP address of your Deployment Solution server and SQL Server hosting your database. • The Database name, host, and any necessary credentials to connect to your deployment database, such as the NT user account or SQL user. (Note: If using the Altiris install of MSDE, the user name is set to SA and the password is set to ‘altiris’.) • User name and password currently used by the Deployment Solution services. Export all Deployment Server jobs that you have created or customized. Right-click on the jobs or jobs directory in the Deployment Server console and export to a different location.
Step 2: Upgrade Your Deployment Solution
Download Deployment solution from http://www.symantec.com/deployment-solution by clicking on the TrialWare link for Deployment Solution for Clients/Servers on the right-side. Log in and on the Software Download page download Deployment Solution for Clients 6.9 SP6. It's recommended to also download relevant Linux and Free DOS Automation Environments that you desire to use. • Stop the following services on your Deployment Server before starting the upgrade process: Altiris Deployment Server Console Manager, Altiris Deployment Server Data Manager, Altiris Deployment Server DB Management, Altiris Express Server, Altiris PXE Server, Altiris PXE Manager, Altiris PXE Config Helper, and Altiris PXE MTFTP Server.
• On your Deployment Solution Server, run the Deployment Solution installation executable to extract and launch the Deployment Solution 6.9 SP6 installation. During installation, select the option that corresponds to your existing configuration and complete the wizard. Note: It is not necessary to uninstall your previous version of Deployment Solution before installing a new version. When prompted, select the option to keep your existing database.
• The account used to install Deployment Solution must be a Windows Administrator and must possess System Administrator rights on the SQL server that will host your Deployment Database in order to install or update the database. (Note: These database rights can be granted temporarily and revoked after the installation completes.) When prompted, choose to keep your existing database. If you choose to create a new database, any existing data including managed computers, jobs, and history will be lost.
• It is recommended that you do not choose to update automation operating systems (Install Pre-boot Operating Systems) during the upgrade process. (When PXE configurations are distributed to PXE servers, they are throttled at 1000 KB per second. This throttling reduces the strain on your network but causes the Deployment Solution installation to take much longer.)
Step 3: Install new Automation Operating Systems Versions
Deployment Solutions 6.9 SP6 adds support for the use of Microsoft’s WinPE 4.0 which is required for the management of newer computers that include the uEFI/EFI system instead of the legacy BIOS system. Since most Windows 8 and Windows 2012 Server operating systems use the EFI system, WinPE 4.0 is required for the PXE boot and imaging process. In order to utilize WinPE 4.0, the Microsoft Windows Assessment and Development Kit (Windows ADK 8.0) must be downloaded directly from Microsoft and installed separately. Windows ADK 8.0 can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=30652# . (Do not install the Windows ADK 8.1 version.) Note: Windows ADK 8.0 requires one of the following operating systems:
• Windows Server 2012 • Windows Server 2008 R2 • Windows Server 2008
After installation of Deployment Server 6.9 SP6 is complete, open the Boot Disk Creator from the Deployment Server console and select Tools and choose Install Pre-boot Operating Systems to install the new automation operating systems.
To use WinPE 4.0 in pre-boot configurations for Boot Disk Creator or the PXE Configuration Utility, verify that the Windows ADK 8.0 has been installed by confirming the existence of the directory called Windows Kits under Program Files (x86). Once this directory is available, select either the x86 or the x64 entry in the Boot Disk Creator – Install Pre-boot Operating System Files window. At the bottom of the window, choose the last option for “Pre-installed ADK:”. The path to the Windows Kits directory should already be entered. Click the Next button to install that version of WinPE 4.0, making it available as a PXE Boot configuration or as a Boot Disk Creator configuration. (Note: The installation of the x86 and the x64 versions of WinPE 4.0 take place separately. You will see a check mark on operating systems that have been installed.)
For information on obtaining updated automation operating systems, see article HOWTO3520.
For a discussion of automation and installation instructions, see article HOWTO5017.
Step 4: Verify PXE Server Upgrades
All PXE previously installed Deployment Solution PXE servers should automatically upgrade. To check the status of these upgrades, see the new Status tab in the PXE Config Utility.
Step 5: Verify Agent Upgrades
After the upgrade completes, your Agents should begin updating automatically if you selected "Automatically Update clients" in the Altiris Deployment Server control panel. If the manual method was selected, update the Agents as noted below.
• Upgrade Agents. Altiris recommends that the Agent Auto upgrade feature be used in Deployment Solution 6.9 SP6. Before upgrading, turn on the auto upgrade feature in Deployment Solution 6.9 SP6 by going to Control Panel > Altiris Deployment Server > Options > Transport > Automatically update clients. Note: See article HOWTO7739 for a description of the changes made in the auto upgrade process and article HOWTO7730 to change auto upgrade settings.
• It is also possible to upgrade AClients via the "Update AClient" job located under the Samples > Misc Jobs folder. This lets you control the upgrade process to target specific groups of computers to upgrade and prevents slowdown due to a large number of clients updating simultaneously. Make sure that the source path of the task is changed to the correct version of the Aclient located under the ...\Agents\AClient directory. It is also recommended that UNC be used to copy the file to the client. This will take additional load off of the axengine. (Note: If Axengine is not processing jobs, this method will not work.)
Imported Document ID: HOWTO94996
Subscribing will provide email updates when this Article is updated. Login is required.