How to use Asset Management's Software Product License Compliance
Last Updated September 19, 2014
Asset Management's Software Product License Compliance requires Inventory Solution and Asset Management Solution processed to be configured. The following briefly describes how to set these up. Note: No other Altiris product, such as Application Metering, is needed or used for Software Product License Compliance.
Part 1: Configure Inventory Solution to have client computers send software data to the Symantec Management Platform server.
Client computers that are required to have their software license compliant must have a Symantec Management Agent installed. Note: It is not relevant what the OS type of the client is, be it Windows or Macintosh, for example, so long as it can have a Symantec Management Agent on it. The OS type is therefore not relevant for this.
The clients must have an Inventory Solution plug-in installed.
An Inventory software policy must be ran on the clients.
The clients must be working and successfully reporting in their Inventory software data to the Symantec Management Platform server.
Part 2: Configure Asset Management to use software purchases and software licenses with the software discovered by Inventory Solution.
1. Create a Software Product: To do this, you must first have inventory bringing in software information. At which point proceed to Manage>Software catalogue. On the left hand side there will be "Newly discovered/undefined Software. Select the Software that matches your criteria, and click the ">" to move it to the "Managed Software products.
2. At this point a new window will appear. In this window there will be 4 tabs. Click ok to save. Please note: You can add software licenses and purchases from the far left tab labeled "licenses". This will create both of those entries based on the information entered. This can be leveraged if there is only one purchase or no purchase information needing to be entered, otherwise creating and associating them manually will allow multiple purchases. Note: If more than one Software Purchase is required, proceed to step 3 for creating additional Purchases, and then step 4 for associating those Purchases to a License.
3. Create a Software Purchase: Navigate to Home>Service and Asset Management>Software Licensing. Right click software purchase>New software purchase. Within add the quantity of licenses and date of purchase under "Software Purchase Details. Add under cost Items the total costs, Click apply.
4. Create a Software License: Right click Software License>New Software License. Here we will associate the purchase information to the product. Add the software purchase(s) to "Software Purchase". Select the Product created in step 1 in "Covered Software Product". Save the license by clicking apply. Note: If a software license has already been created, either manually or by Step 2, additional Software Purchases can be added.
5. After all of this is configured, next ensure that the Software Product Licensing Recalculation is ran to update the compliancy data. This is set to run once a day at 1 AM by default.
6. Lastly, view the compliancy data, such as in Resource Manager for a license, or preferably, in a compliancy report, such as Reports > Service and Asset Management > Contract Management > Software Licensing > Software Product Licensing Compliance.