1. The Clean Install: If there is no previous installation of Notification Server or Dell Client Manager, this section will take you through the basic steps for installing Notification Server 7.
2. The Migration Install (On-Box): If the goal is to install Dell Client Manager 3.x over an existing environment running Dell Client Manager 2.x, this section will guide through the process of install Notification Server 7 and migrating the data.
3. The Migration Install (Off-Box): For environments where a new machine for Dell Client Manager 3.x is to be set up and then migrate data from an existing DCM 2.x environment, this section will provide the steps to set up Notification Server 7 and then bring data over from the other system.
Please note: Many of the steps in the migration installation documents is the same as steps in a clean install. In those cases, the steps will reference specific steps that should be followed from the clean install. After those steps have been completed, the procedure will continue in the steps for the migration.
This document focuses on the migration process for Notification Server, so there is no specific mention of Dell Client Manager in the procedure. However, the required data from DCM 2.x will be properly migrated through these steps.
1. Prepare a clean computer where no previous install of NS or solutions has been performed
2. Install the Symantec Installation Manager (SIM). It is recommended that you specify a non-default location (i.e. c:\MyInstall\) since this helps uncovers a common problem with the product MSI configuration.
3. Select your product for install. The latest compatible platform and product dependencies should be automatically selected for you by the Symantec Installation Manager. While on the 'Install New Products' dialog make sure that your product is found under all the appropriate filters. Finally click Next.
4. On the 'Selected Products and Features' dialog verify that the latest compatible platform and product dependencies have been selelcted.
5. On the 'End User License Agreement' dialog Click the check box to the left of the 'I agree to the terms in the license agreement' and click Next.
6. Fill in the required fields on the 'Personal Information' dialog and click Next.
7. On the 'Install Readiness Check' dialog resolve any failures in order to continue with the install. If your product has an install readiness check make sure that appears and is functioning properly. See the Install Readiness test case for additional testing for this feature. Click Next once all the Install Readiness Checks pass.
8. On the 'Product Licensing' dialog if you are connected to the Internet evaluation licenses should have been automatically downloaded and applied. Each product should have 'Evaluation' in the type column. If your product and all of its dependencies require no licenses this dialog will not display. Click Next.
9. On the 'Notification Server Credentials' dialog specify an local administrator account for the Notification Server to run under. Also make sure the FQDN is correct if the computer is part of a domain. Click Next.
10. On the 'Database Configuration' dialog provide the required information and click Next.
11. On the 'Enable Management Features' if your product exposes a feature (read default agent rollout policy) for end users to enable at install time make sure it appears and that the short description, long description and the default checked state are correct. Select the policy so it will be enabled.
12. On the 'Select Computers to Manage' choose some computers in your test environment to deploy the agent. Make sure that some of the computers selected are targeted by the default agent rollout policy enabled in step 11. After the install completes you should confirm that the selected computers recieved the agents properly.
13. During install be atentive during the configuration of your teams product if the configuration process delays and appears hung in anyway it will be important to override the interface for the NestedProgressContext.
14. After the install completes and you click Finish, SIM should launch to the specified launch to URL if your product has one. If your product does not have a launch to URL or if it is part of a suite then the default console page or the suite console page will appear respectively.
15. Make sure all components appear to be functioning properly.
1. Prepare a computer with 6.x Notification Server and solutions installed including your product, preferably you would have a 6.x suite installed such as CMS or SMS installed since that will more accurately reflect the real world in most cases.
2. Follow steps 2 through 7 in 'The Clean Install' (above). When you click next on the 'Install Readiness Check' dialog you will be prompted that a Notifcation Server 6.x has been detected and you will be asked if you want to migrate your data. Choose to do a migration and click OK.
3. The 'Preparing for Data Migration' dialog will appear during the installation of the Migration Wizard and the import \ export plug-in pieces to the Migration Wizard that each solution team provides.
4. A message box will inform you of the successful completion of the Migration Wizard install and that it will now run. Click OK (SIM will close).
5. The Migration Wizard launches in export mode and you need specify a location for the exported data. Click Next.
6. The 'Export Configuration' dialog displays the exporters that will be run. Make sure your products exporters appear in the list. Click Next.
7. The 'Task Summary' dialog shows a summary (suprise) of what the Migration wizard will do. Click Next.
8. The 'Export Data Progress' dialog shows the progress of the export tasks. Watch for the running of your product's exports and for any errors they have.
9. A message box will display informing you of the successful completion of the data export. Click OK on the message box and click Finish on the Migration Wizard.
10. SIM launches again to the 'Selected Products and Features' dialog. follow steps 4 to 13 from 'The Clean Install' (above). Please note that the uninstall of 6.x products will happen prior to the install of 7.x products.
11. After the installation of 7.x products completes SIM will display the 'Installation Complete' dialog and launch the Migration Wizard.
12. On the 'Export / Import Task Selection' dialog make sure that 'Import data from ....' is selected and that the data store path is set properly. Click Next.
13. On the 'Importer Configuration' page make sure that your product's importers appear in the list. Click Next.
14. Click Next on the 'Task Summary' dialog.
15. On the 'Import Data Progress' dialog watch for the running of your product's importers and for any errors generated by them.
16. The Migration Wizard will close after succesful completion. Then click Finish on the 'Installation Complete' dialog.
17. The console should launch. Make sure your products are functioning properly.
1. Run steps 1 to 14 from 'The Clean Install'. Make sure that the checkbox to launch the Migration Wizard is checked so you can import the data you have previously exported or will now export from a 6.x environment.
2. SIM provides a link on the finish page to the location of the Migration Wizard install pacakge. If you have not performed an export of your 6.x data previously copy the Migration Wizard to the 6.x environment and run it.
3. With the Migration Wizard running on the 6.x environment select the option to export data. Click Next.
4. The 'Export Configuration' dialog displays the exporters that will be run. Make sure your products exporters appear in the list. Click Next.
5. The 'Task Summary' dialog shows a summary (suprise) of what the Migration wizard will do. Click Next.
6. The 'Export Data Progress' dialog shows the progress of the export tasks. Watch for the running of your product's exports and for any errors they have.
7. A message box will display informing you of the successful completion of the data export. Click OK on the message box and click Finish on the Migration Wizard. Note the location of the data store that contains the exported data.
8. Return to the 7.x environment with Migration Wizard running.
9. On the 'Export / Import Task Selection' dialog make sure that 'Import data from ....' is selected and that the data store path is set properly. Click Next.
10. On the 'Importer Configuration' page make sure that your product's importers appear in the list. Click Next.
11. Click Next on the 'Task Summary' dialog.
12. On the 'Import Data Progress' dialog watch for the running of your product's importers and for any errors generated by them.
13. The Migration Wizard will close after succesful completion. Then click Finish on SIM's 'Installation Complete' dialog.
14. The console should launch. Make sure your products are functioning properly.
Subscribing will provide email updates when this Article is updated. Login is required to Subscribe
Thanks for your feedback. Let us know if you have additional comments below. (requires login)
This will clear the history and restart the chat.