What do I need to know about the 2.0 release of the Administrator's SDK?
Symantec Administrator Software Development Kit (ASDK) Version 2.0 Release Notes
Support for Notification Server 7.0
The Symantec Administrator Software Development Kit (ASDK) version 2.0 has been updated and revised to support new features, constructs and architectural changes in Notification Server 7.0 (NS 7.0).
ASDK 2.0 contains support for NS 7 core functionality and Task Server 7 functionality.
New Features and Modifications
Release 2.0 implements the following new features and modifications:
· The CollectionManagement library has been revised and updated to reflect architectural changes in NS 7.0. In NS 6.x, collections were the container that was targeted for action by, for example, policies and tasks. In NS 7, collections no longer fulfill this role; instead, the new construct "Resource Target" is the target of policies and tasks. The CollectionManagement API set has been modified to reflect this change in role for a "collection." The “collections” for which ASDK 2.0 provides functionality are those collections that have been re-defined in NS 7 for use as “filters” in setting Resource Targets. The NS 6.x collections are no longer supported in NS 7.0 or in ASDK 2.0, except as legacy inputs for Resource Target filters. This means that GUIDs used as inputs to ASDK 1.x CollectionManagement API calls will no longer work. The GUIDs used must now represent NS 7 collection “filters” of type Altiris.NS.StandardItems.Collection.NSDataSrcBasedResourceCollection or Altiris.NS.StandardItems.Collection.NSDataSrcBasedWithExplicitResourceCollection. All your existing scripts or programs that call CollectionManagement APIs in the 1.x ASDK against the NS 6.x should be reviewed and revised accordingly.
· The following APIs have been removed from the ItemManagement library due to architectural and security changes in NS 7.0:
In addition, ItemManagement contains a new API called RunAutomationPolicyTask, which executes a Task Management task linked to an Automation Policy.
· Due to architectural changes involving reports in NS 7.0, the ReportManagement library has a new API called CreateReportUsingRawSqlQuery. This API essentially replaces the now-defunct CreateReport API in ASDK1.x. CreateReportUsingRawSqlQuery allows you to set the data source of an NS 7 report using a raw SQL query. The rest of the ASDK 2.0 API set for ReportManagement remains the same as in ASDK 1.x, except that the APIs (GetReportParameters, RunReport and RunReportWithParameters) will accept report GUIDs for either NS 6.x reports or NS 7 reports.
· In the ResourceManagement library, the ASDK 1.x APIs ComputerPowerManagement, ComputerManagement_Collection and CreateInventoryNSE have been removed in response to architectural changes in NS 7.0. In addition, the library has a new API called CreateResourceAssociation, which was previously located in the AssetManagement module in ASDK 1.x.
· The AssetManagement module found in ASDK 1.x has been removed due to organizational changes in the NS and its solutions. The CreateResourceAssociation previously found in the module is located in the ResourceManagement library in ASDK 2.0.
· ASDK 2.0 contains modules for NS 7 and Task Server 7 only.
Supported Symantec Management Platform Versions
ASDK 2.0 is supported for the following Symantec Management Platform versions:
To install ASDK 2.0, you must first completely uninstall any current (1.x) version of the ASDK on all machines where it has been installed and then install the version 2.0. Please note that the ASDK supports only the latest released versions of Notification Server and its various solutions (including the latest service pack).
Note that the ASDK 2.0 is comprised of two separate installation pieces: The required “server-side” installation is performed via the Symantec Installation Manager (SIM) tool. Please see the Symantec Management Platform documentation for information on where to download this tool. This installation will download and install the NS and Task modules, as well as a number of coding and scripting samples. It will install the core “integration assemblies” (Altiris.ASDK.NS.dll and Altiris.ASDK.Task.dll) in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) of your NS server, as well as installing the ASDK’s web services for NS and Task Server. It will also install the CLI executables for NS and Task Server.
The second installation piece is optional but recommended. If you want to install support for the COM layer (so that you can run the ASDK from a VBScript, for example) you will need to download the Symantec_ASDK.exe install from the Symantec download site. Run this executable from each computer where you want to install the COM layer. This can be the NS Server, or any other Windows computer that has the Microsoft .NET Framework v3.5 installed. (NOTE: This install will also give you the option of installing the CLI layer for the Altiris Agent, if the computer has an Altiris Agent installed. The Agent CLI will allow you access the existing Agent’s COM components via the Command Line.)
To install the complete ASDK 2.0, complete the following steps:
Part I – Uninstall ASDK version 1.x
Part II – Install the Server components
Run the Symantec Installation Manager (SIM) on the Notification Server machine where you want to install the ASDK 2.0.
Make sure you update the SIM to the latest version and it will have an up to date PL (Product Listing) for example: \Program Files\Altiris\Symantec Installation Manager\Installs\Altiris\symantec*.pl.*. This can be modified using the settings button in the upper right of the Symantec Installation Manager.
Select the "Symantec Administrator SDK" product and proceed with the installation. If "Symantec Administrator SDK" is not visible in the product list, make sure no filters are selected and that the PL is one that references the Administrator SDK.
Part III – Install the COM components
Subscribing will provide email updates when this Article is updated. Login is required.
Thanks for your feedback. Let us know if you have additional comments below. (requires login)
This will clear the history and restart the chat.