When Checking the Quarantine in Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE) the Error Message "Encrypted File Header was Invalid and could not be read." is shown.
Perform the following steps to check the quarantine:
1. Open the SMSMSE console.
2. Select Monitors > Quarantine.
3. Press F5 to refresh quarantine.
This is caused by corruption of a file in the quarantine folder.
Configure file system antivirus programs (such as Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) or Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition (SAV) to exclude the SMSMSE directories from scanning and altering the files. By default the installation directory of SMSMSE is C:\Program files\Symantec\SMSMSE.
If this issue continues to occur contact Symantec Technical Support to troubleshoot.
Technical Information Perform the following steps to identify and remove the corrupted file:
1. Move all files that end in .Q from the directory C:\Program Files\Symantec\SMSMSE\<version>
\Server\Quarantine to a temporary directory. Do not move any other files or directories.
2. Then, one file at a time, move it back into the directory C:\Program Files\Symantec\SMSMSE\<version>
3. Refresh the console Quarantine view.
4. If the error message is displayed then the file is corrupt and should be deleted.
Imported Document ID: TECH122538
Subscribing will provide email updates when this Article is updated. Login is required.