How can an encrypted system be decrypted when the Corporate Admin password is lost?
User is not allowed to decrypt their machine, but we've lost the Corporate Admin password.
Is there a way to decrypt without running recover /d?
You can use the Encryption Plus Admin to create an UpdateUserSettings package with a new Corporate Admin and/or Local Admin password. After the update is applied and the machine rebooted you can use the new Corporate Admin to run the Encryption Plus Application on the client computer and decrypt it.
Note: the criteria that must be met for UpdateUserSettings (by running usersettingsupd.exe) to work.
1. The EP Hard Disk User Setup must be complete (EP Hard Disk User Name and Password were created) on the user computers
2. The Corporate Admin password has not been changed more than 10 times. This because the history of 10 Corporate Admin passwords is saved in the UserSettingsUpd.dat file. During the Update Setting process, this dat file is checked to see if the current Corporate Admin password is one of up to 10 passwords that can be stored in this file.
3. The file with the new settings is generated by the same Administrator Program as the User Setup (installation) files.
4. The file with the new settings is generated by the same version of the Administrator Program as the User Program.
5. When creating the UpdateUserSettings from the EP Hard Disk Administrator Program, it is not necessary to enter the Corporate or Local Administrator names and passwords unless one of the passwords is being changed.
Also note: There is no limit to the number of EP Hard Disk Local Administrators and passwords that can be used. The limit only applies to the number of times you can change a Corporate Admin password.
Imported Document ID: TECH151311
Subscribing will provide email updates when this Article is updated. Login is required.