How to upgrade or migrate to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.
To upgrade or migrate to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1, review the following information first:
System Requirements, Known Issues, What's New, and Supported Migration Paths
Migration detects and migrates installations of the following Symantec legacy virus protection software:
• Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 9.x and 10.x.
• Symantec Client Security 2.x and 3.x
• Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition 12.0
• Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.x *
• Symantec Sygate Enterprise Protection *
• Symantec AntiVirus for Mac *
* Legacy products marked with asterisk cannot be migrated to Small Business Edition. Also, you may migrate from a Small Business Edition to Enterprise version, but not the reverse.
NOTE: Migration of Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager 11 RU7 to 12.1 RTM is not supported. Migrations from 11.0 RU7 to 12.1 RU1 are supported. Migration of clients is supported in both versions.
If you need to know what versions of Symantec Endpoint Protection are installed on computers on your network, read the document Generating a list of the Symantec Endpoint Protection versions installed on the clients and servers in your network.
You may skip migration of legacy products as follows: Uninstall the legacy software from your computers. During Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager installation, cancel the migration option. After initial product installation, use Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager to adjust the group settings and policy settings, then deploy the Symantec Endpoint Protection client to the unprotected legacy computers.
Prepare Symantec Client Security or Symantec AntiVirus for migration
Upgrade the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager
Manage product licenses
Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 is licensed according to the number of Endpoint Protection clients that are needed to protect the endpoints at your site. Once the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager is installed, you may immediately deploy clients. New Manager installations come with a trial license: you have 60 days to purchase and activate a license that covers all of your deployed clients. When migrating from an older version of Symantec Endpoint Protection (versions 11.x or 12.0), you start with an upgrade license that expires in 241 days. Note: Small Business Edition comes with a 30-day trial license, whether it is an upgrade or new installation.
Upgrade client software
NOTE: Clients that are Group Update Providers must be upgraded first (Group Update Providers are not a feature of Small Business Edition).
Review applicable steps in Steps to prepare computers to install Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 client, and choose from available methods to upgrade clients to Endpoint Protection 12.1:
• AutoUpgrade*--assign client packages to groups in the Manager console, either manually or by using the Upgrade Groups Wizard. Be sure that the SEPM is the same language as the package you are pushing and the client as this may cause AutoUpgrade to fail.
• Permit product updates in LiveUpdate Settings policy for a client group in the Manager console.*
• Local installation from product disc.
• Run the Client Deployment Wizard from the Manager console. It will walk you through the creation of a client package that can be deployed via a weblink and email, remote push, or saved for later local installation or deployment using third-party tools.
• For Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 Small Business Edition only, untick the check box "disable automatic client package updates". The function can be found in the SEPM SBE under Computers> right click on any group> properties.
* Methods marked with an asterisk are not available in Small Business Edition.
Subscribing will provide email updates when this Article is updated. Login is required to Subscribe
Thanks for your feedback. Let us know if you have additional comments below. (requires login)
This will clear the history and restart the chat.