After installing the management agent on Unix, Linux and Mac (ULM) clients, the corresponding resource is created on the SMP server but the server has no data for these client resources. Tasks can run. However, no data is being returned to the SMP from the client.
1. Any of the following errors may appear in the client log file(s):
ERRO 2011-11-11 18:14:38.487 11041 2957094912 PolicyManager > Error: UpdatePolicies: NS Returned Error: The system type is invalid for the specified resource (a84f3037-8b89-4175-af11-144a6e478740) This condition is temporary and will resolved when basic inventory is received from the resource
WARN 2011-11-11 18:14:49.273 11041 2954661888 CT-postdata > Transfer (''): Attempt for url http://altiris.hsd1.org/Altiris/NS/Agent/PostEvent.asp returned 2147554187, Post failed, HTTP error: 404, http://altiris.hsd1.org/Altiris/NS/Agent/PostEvent.asp
WARN 2011-11-11 18:14:49.273 11041 2954661888 EventQueue > Error: EventQueue(TrySendEvent): Unable to send queued event /opt/altiris/notification/nsagent/var/queue/13210604890000.100.nse. Reason Error: ClientEvent:
2. Sending basic inventory does not update the NS/SMP database.
3. Resources are not populated in various targets.
4. Resource Manager is missing significant amounts of basic inventory and Inventory Solution data.
The ULM agent posts data by calling 'postevent.asp' on the SMP server. This file does not exist on the SMP 7.x server. Therefore, a redirect to 'postevent.aspx' is required.
As per changes to .Net 4.x, certain redirect functions are disabled. Therefore, when the ULM agent makes a request to 'postevent.asp', the request fails and data, including basic inventory, status events, inventory solution data, etc., is not populated in the SMP database.
There are several things that need to be configured properly in order for asp to aspx redirection to take place. (Many of these may be configured properly, by default.)
1. Ensure that .NET v2.0 is installed on the SMP server.
2. Ensure that the following file has the following entry in the "<httpHandlers>" section:
3. In IIS, ensure that the "Agent" entry, as shown in the following image, is using the "Classic .NET AppPool". Browse to Sites, Default Web Site, Altiris, NS. Click on and hilight 'Agent' and select 'Basic Settings'.
4. Ensure that the "Classic .NET AppPool" is configured for .NET Framework Version v2.0, as shown below. In IIS, select the 'Application Pools' entry.
5. In IIS, ensure that there is a Handler Mapping for the agent that maps *.asp requests to the .NET Framework v2.0 aspnet_isapi.dll file. Browse to Sites, Default Web Site, Altiris, NS. Click on and hilight 'Agent'. Double-click 'Handler mappings'. In our case, we created a second entry for the *.asp path. We gave it an appropriate name and ensure the other entries were populated, as shown below. This seemed to be the key as the default mapping was the v4.x version of aspnet_isapi.dll. Once we created a mapping for asp to the v2.0 version, redirection occured properly as the .NET 4.x restrictions were bypassed.
Symantec Management Platform7.x Symantec Management Agent for Unix, Linux and Mac 7.x .Net 4.x
Imported Document ID: TECH174473
Subscribing will provide email updates when this Article is updated. Login is required.