Access to console remotely throws a 401 Unauthorized error - 401.1 error
Last Updated December 16, 2015
Attempts to access the SMP console result in error 401 Unauthorized error page. IIS logs show 401 1 (401.1) error.
Windows Security event logs show successful authentication from remote IP
Another symptom might be that the user is continually prompted for credentials when trying to get into the console. This happens both at the server and from a remote console.
The cause could be one or more of the following individual possible conditions.
1. Windows Authentication does not seem to properly function between IIS and Windows. This seems to be an issue caused by IIS settings to use kernel mode authentication.
2. Possibly a problem where the authentication token (via Kerberos) is too large. This is usually caused when the user account authenticating is a member of 100+ security groups. The following link explains the condition:
4. There is a proxy setting in IE that is not allowing the Child or Parent (depending on which direction replication is failing) that is preventing the server from contacting and authenticating to the other server. Currently the replication framework does not use the Notification Server proxy settings in order to get through a proxy configuration.
5. The registry key has been set to a value of 2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\CrashOnAuditFail
4. In the IE Proxy configuration settings add an exclusion entry identifying specific servers or servers in a specific domain so that they do not need to authenticate through the proxy, but can go straight to the server.
5. See Microsoft
support.microsoft.com/kb/832981 for details on the http 401.1 and http 500 errors when the security event log is full and the followinig registry key value is set to a value or 1 or 2 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\CrashOnAuditFail. To resolve the issue set the registry key value to 0.
Symantec Management Platform 7.1, 7.1 SP1, 7.1 SP2 Windows Server 2008 R2
Imported Document ID: TECH179382
Subscribing will provide email updates when this Article is updated. Login is required to Subscribe