PGP Desktop GUI becomes unresponsive when using multiple ( i.e more than 40,45) mail accounts.
When opening PGP Desktop the GUI might look incomplete and disordered.
-PGP Desktop console will become unresponsive
-Unable to work on existing opened browser windows or Windows Explorer
-Monitor will flicker with different colours (i.e. blue,black or white )
This issue occurs if too many "Messaging Accounts" are created in PGP Desktop.
Different scenarios can lead to multiple mail accounts being created:
- When using a mail provider and connecting i.e. to domain.tld which resolves to multiple IP addresses. Each time a new IP address is resolved for domain.tld, a new mail service will be created. As a workaround use "*.domain.tld" instead of "domain.tld"
- While travelling to different geographical region , the email client will connect to a different mail server in that region. This will create an additional account with the same email address under PGP Messaging in PGP Desktop.
- When initiating a port scan while PGPtray is running and detecting new services. Each outgoing connection to i.e. port 25 will create a new messaging service for each separate IP contacted.
Symantec Corporation is committed to product quality and satisfied customers. This issue is currently being considered by Symantec Corporation to be addressed in a forthcoming version or Maintenance Pack of the product. Please be sure to refer back to this document periodically as any changes to the status of the issue will be reflected here.
The following is a known temporary workaround for the issue :
1. Delete PGPpolicy.XML under "%appdata%\PGP Corporation\PGP"
2. This will delete all the mail accounts under PGP messaging
3. We can manually configure the mail account as per the mail server in the current geographical region or PGP will automatically detect and configure the email account after exiting PGPtray and closing Outlook Now start PGPtray first and the open Outlook
PGP Desktop 9.x and 10.x
PGP Desktop GUI unresponsive when using multiple (i.e. 69) mail accounts
Imported Document ID: TECH198207
Subscribing will provide email updates when this Article is updated. Login is required.
Thanks for your feedback. Let us know if you have additional comments below. (requires login)
Subscribed to the Article.
Unable to subscribe
Thanks for your additional feedback !!!
Enterprise Support Virtual Agent
Rate Me :
Tell us more:
Welcome! My name is Sami, the Enterprise Support Virtual Agent answering technical support questions.