Data collection times out when unix assets/agents use find command to collect data on remote mounts.
Or when a directory is rather large and/or slow and commands are taking a long time to run.
This query was halted before completion. Query timed out in command execution: find / name !-fstype nfs -a ! -fstype autofs -a ! -fstype cifs -a ! -fstype -a ! -fstype ncp -a ! -fstype afp -a ! -fstype afs -type d \\ ( -perm -0002 -a ! -perm -1000 \\) @ lt/dev/null
A timeout occurring due to targeting large file systems (e.g. NFS, CIFS, etc.) local or remote file systems.
Follow these steps to exclude the directory path from the data collection jobs: There are two files that can be modified depending what you want to accomplish. In this example we will modify the IgnoreDirectoryPathAlways.dat file, but you can modify the IgnoreDirectoryPathsForFind.dat in a similar way, to eliminate the path only when using the FIND command.
1. On the CCS Manager Server: Find the file IgnoreDirectoryPathAlways.dat file, located in InstallDir:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\CCS\Reporting and Analytics\DPS\control\Unix\ConfigFiles and make a copy of it.
2. Open the .dat file copy using notepad. (WARNING: Do not use any editor that can insert control characters or formatting into the file).
3. Modify the .dat file. After modification, the file should contain a list of any paths that will be ignored during file and find data collection commands to keep timeouts from occurring. (Each directory should be listed, one per line with an extra blank line at the bottom of the file.) Ex: /path/to/ignore /path/to/network/share /rabbit/hole <blank line>
4. When using agents, save a copy of the .dat file and place it on the unix agent. In this example, I will place it in /esm/bin/dcmodules/<PLATFORM>/UNIX/
5. On the agent machine, locate the bv.conf file, located in /esm/bin/dcmodules/<PLATFORM>/UNIX/bv.conf, and modify it as follows.
6. Uncomment the IgnoreRemoteFilesystems=False line, and change "False" to "True"
7. Uncomment the IgnoreDirectoryPathAlways= line, and add the path that the .dat file is located in. (you can also add the path for the IgnoreDirectoryPathForFind.dat if you chose that file to modify)
8. Uncomment the line under the "specifies the path to the file containing list of directories to be ignored for all queries" and add the path to the .dat file here
9. Save the bv.conf file in the same location.
10. Restart the agent after saving the bv.conf file. (In CCS 11, from the command line on the agent system, /esm/esmrc restart)
Imported Document ID: TECH226638
Subscribing will provide email updates when this Article is updated. Login is required.