All versions starting from Symantec Patch Management Solution 7.1 SP1 and up to current release are affected.
Example steps to reproduce:
1. Install SMP 7.5 SP1 with Patch Management Solution;
2. Run Pmimport with Mozilla selected in the Vendor list;
3. Stage Firefox 25, install it on Notification Server;
4. Now distribute the following Firefox versions 31/32/33/35/35.0.1/36 to Notification Server;
5. When the patches get delivered, some (!) of it will be scheduled and later successfully installed
Expected result: Only the latest version should be scheduled and installed.
There are no errors.
Working as designed. This targeting takes place when there are no dependency associations between the old Update and the Superseded Update that is not in succession.
Example: No dependency associations exists between FF15-001 and FF14-012. However if an intermediate patch is also delivered, like in FF15-003 -
FF15-002 - FF15-001 chain, then the supersedence chain works correctly.
This behavior is currently being reviewed by Symantec Corp as an Enhancement Request, for there is no current change required as this is not a BUG.
Workaround: This scenario can be avoided if using "Disable all superseded Software Updates" option in PMImport.
Subscribing will provide email updates when this Article is updated. Login is required.