A product to software component association is not removed when product filter criteria change.
Last Updated July 28, 2015
The problem will affect all of 7.6 (up to HF3) and 7.5.x. ITMS versions.
It is easy to associate a component to a product but it is NOT easy to achieve the opposite, i.e. to un-associate a component from a product.
Steps to reproduce. 1. Discover an installed component (piece of software) installed on any managed computer, can be Notification Server (NS) itself.
2. Find the component in the Console / Software menu and click "Manage this software".
3. A product, a product filter and association "Software Product Contains Software Component" will be created.
4. Software product will be listed in Activity Center (Enhanced Views) - "Computers with software installed" panel as installed.
5. Modify the filter listed in (3) so that the component is not associated with the product any more and falls out of the filter criteria.
6. Run any possible internal NS task (from Windows Task Scheduler) including "NS.Nightly schedule to associate Software component to software product", still the product will be listed as installed on the same machine (see the screen).
There are no errors in the log files.
The "component to product" association will not be removed from the database.
This can be verified by running the following query against Symantec_CMDB in SQL_Management_Studio ===== --Association between Component and Product select vi.Name [Component Name],vi1.name [Product Name],vi2.name,ra.* from ResourceAssociation ra inner join vItem vi on vi.Guid = ra.ChildResourceGuid inner join vItem vi1 on vi1.Guid = ra.ParentResourceGuid inner join vItem vi2 on vi2.Guid = ra.ResourceAssociationTypeGuid where ra.ResourceAssociationTypeGuid = '9d67b0c6-beff-4fcd-86c1-4a40028fe483' --Association type and ra.ChildResourceGuid = 'INSERT_COMPONENT_GUID_HERE' --Component Guid ======
This is a know issue. It is still under investigation. As of now a fix is targeted for ITMS 7.6 HF4 version.
As a workaround the association can be deleted / modified via product delete - create or a new product create - re-associate.
Subscribing will provide email updates when this Article is updated. Login is required to Subscribe