I have several remote PXE Servers that I need to make absolutely sure stay connected to Deployment Server. How do I do this?
With the release of the DS 6.9 sp1 code, there has been a new setting made available for PXE. This feature allows the PXE Servers to reset their socket connection to the Deployment Server. Specifically the axengine on port 402. This is the port used by DS and PXE to provide status updates to the PXE Server as far as which boot menu option machines should be booting to.
This feature is called PortsActive and it can be found in the PXEManager.ini file which is located in the PXE folder under the eXpress share.
1. Stop the PXE Manager Service on the Deployment Server
2. Open the PXEManager.ini file in Notepad
3. Locate the section with the header [PXEServer\Shared\DS]
4. At the bottom of this section there should be two lines:
;PortsActive is in second - 0 = Off recommend default 600 = 10 minutes
PortsActive = 0
5. Change the value from 0 to 600 or higher based on your needs
6. Save the PXEManager.ini file
7. Start the PXE Manager Service
8. Your PXE Servers will then check in and get the update
At this point, your PXE Servers will reset their connection based on the time you set.
This option is great for situations where you've got machines that are booting into PXE for no apparent reason. In this situation, the PXE Server has some how forgotten the MAC address of the machine that is booting into automation. PXE is seeing the machine as an unmanaged machine and is applying the Initial Deployment option for its boot.
The reset connection option will force the PXE Server to continually update its socket connection and therefore continually get the proper status updates from the axengine.
Imported Document ID: TECH40829
Subscribing will provide email updates when this Article is updated. Login is required.