KNOWN ISSUE: Cannot run tasks against Vista systems when the task credentials differ from the logged-on user
Last Updated October 01, 2009
Steps to duplicate:
1. Run a task against a system running Vista where the task credentials differ from the logged-on user.
NOTE: This scenario assumes that the customer cannot run the job using the local system account.
Copy an MSI to a folder on the target Vista machine (e.g. C:\Temp).
Login to Vista using the credentials of a local administrator.
Create a Run Script task in the DS console: msiexec /i C:\Temp\ xxxx.msi /qn
On the next screen, set the task to run under "Specific user" and specify the local administrator of the test client.
Assign the task to the Vista client.
The job will terminate normally but the MSI program will not be installed (i.e., the job status will report the task completed successfully, but no tasks were processed against the target client).
2. If you set the Client Run Environment to "Run script in console user session" and the currently logged-on user is a standard (restricted) user, the task will fail (i.e., the job status will report the task completed successfully, but no tasks were processed against the client).
3. If you set the Client Run Environment to "Run script in console user session" and the currently logged-on user is a local administrator, the job will succeed (i.e., the job status will report the task completed successfully and the MSI will be installed).
Symantec has resolved this issue in the 'DS 6.9 SP3 default.dll.zip' file attached to this KB. To update follow the steps below:
1) Open up the 'Altiris Deployment Server' applet from the control panel
2) Click on the 'Options' button and select the 'Transport' tab.
3) Select 'Automatically update clients'
4) Click 'Apply' then 'OK'
5) Click 'Yes' to restart the Axengine.
6) Download and extract 'DS 6.9 SP3 default.dll.zip' attached to this KB to the '<drive>:\program files\altiris\express\deployment server\agents\aclient' directory
7) Autoupdate will download and update the proper default.dll (x86, x64) file to the remote systems.
Applies To DS 6.9 SP3 DAgent DS 6.9 SP3 build 430 running in Windows Vista and Windows 7